March 3, 2007

A Day In The Sun

Today was my first official day on the beach. Out the back gate, 2 minute walk - 11:30 - 3:00. It was the perfect temp. with a slight breeze. Liza joined me midday. She's from Puerto Rico and was as happy as I was to be laying out. My next goal is to find a beach chair. In the states my chair was always in the trunk of my car so I could have access to it at a moments notice. Although my heart still belongs to Boston there is no comparison to this and my many, many days spent at Carson Beach in Southie.

Arabic classes are on hold for a month. Our teacher Sanae has gone back to her hometown of Fes about 3 hours south of Tetouan. She has left us with a book and homework to do that she will quiz us on when she gets back in April. The language is incredibly difficult to learn, read and write. I can write the dialogues out phonetically and read them but I still cannot read it without the cheat sheet. Recognizing words becoming somewhat easier. When I watch American shows here...(watching Rachel Ray right now minus the shoebootty)...the subtitles are in Arabic. Hopefully I wont' forget everything I have learned before she gets back. I'm not very motivated to do self study. Below is picture of Sanae and myself before class. Her name is written first on the board in Arabic and mine is below it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear your at the beach again.....wish we were!
A

Kim said...

agh so glad you started a blog! i wanted to hear all about your move to moracco! sounds like things are so different, but in a good way. want me to send you a box of balance bars?! cant wait to hear about all your new experiences.

Anonymous said...

Penny said...

Glad to hear you made it to the beach. What was is it like? Summer will be here soon and that's when things will "heat" up for you...in more than one way! : )
Your name looks pretty!

Anonymous said...

Beach sounds awsome B. I guess ordering a delicious rumrunner would be out of the question. Very impressive - learning a new language my friend! love you, B